The Goodrums

Michael and Jennifer

4/14/2006

Loving San Francisco

Posted by Jen |

Wow... I have never had this much fun before on a business trip!

Last Sunday, the 9th, I left Jackson headed to San Francisco for a conference I was somewhat dreading at the time. Not only was the conference great, but I had a wonderful time in San Francisco.

Some things I loved about San Francisco:

  1. The city was diverse and had great culture
  2. People don't talk on their cell phones constantly - there was a distinct and noticeable difference from my experiences on the east coast, in the south or even in our beloved Texas (Michael and I are pretty anti-cell phone and I was the one feeling a little self conscious about talking on my cell in SF)
  3. It's active - I think I saw more people exercising in one afternoon than there are people in the entire city of Jackson. The city's also structured to make it easy to be active.
  4. It's incredibly beautiful. No wonder it costs so much to live in California!
  5. It was a new place for me to visit. I had never been to SF before. With all the traveling we did with my family when we were kids, it's rare for me to go somewhere truly new. I love exploring new places.
The weather in San Francisco was supposed to be uncooperative for my entire visit (and for the most part it was) - but it cleared up and was beautiful on Monday afternoon, my one free afternoon and evening. I took advantage of the afternoon by walking through a good part of the city (Chinatown and down along all the piers). Then I rented a bike and rode across the Golden Gate bridge. What an incredible experience. Afterwards, I went down to Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf for a yummy crab dinner. I was so exhausted by the end of the evening - but had such a great time. AND I had a great hotel room to come back to. I stayed at the San Francisco Marriott. Someone must have been feeling nice when I checked in - because they gave me a room at the top of one of the hotel towers. I had this incredible room with a curved (probably 20 ft) ceiling and windows on every wall that allowed me to have over a 270 degree view of the city. Given that set-up and a really comfy bed (and I don't say that much - I'm normally missing our very plush mattress at home), I was a happy, happy camper.

My only regret was not making it out to Alcatraz Island - but that gives us a reason to have to go back and enjoy the city again.

Here are a few pictures from my San Francisco adventure.















The Bay Bridge
I could see parts of the Bay Bridge from my hotel room















The Golden Gate Bridge
Taken just prior to my ascent to the bridge for the ride across




















Cliffs below the Golden Gate
Wow... the scenery was beautiful. A picture can't even begin to capture it.















The City
as the sun started to set














Returning the Bike
I tried to get a picture taken during the bike ride by a nice elderly gentleman - but the angle of the sun didn't work very well. You can't see me in that picture. So this picture will have to do instead. I didn't really bring clothes to work out in - as you can see. Anyone else like the cheesy blue helmet? Michael made fun of me for hours!




















Fisherman's Wharf















A very worn out picture in front at the end of Pier 39
All that play wore me out... Alcatraz Island in the background















Earlier Picture of Alcatraz

1 comments:

The Segrest Family said...

Jennifer! im so impressed with you and your photography! what great pictures!!!! mk

Subscribe