The Goodrums

Michael and Jennifer

11/12/2006

Who would have thought?

Posted by Jen |

...That Boston Cream Pie would be so hard to find in Boston. I'm on a quest to find the best Boston Cream Pie (one of my favorite desserts) in Boston - and failing pretty miserably at that quest so far. I had the best Boston Cream Pie I've ever had in San Francisco - and that just seems somewhat wrong. I wanted to change that situation but it's proven to be much harder than I thought it would be.

We spent all of Saturday (yesterday) in Boston - exploring most areas of the city in the process. We tried to keep off of the typical tourists paths and see more of the city as natives see it (especially since we hit most of the tourist sites during our July 2005 trip to Boston). We walked everywhere (except for our morning excursion to Belmont). In total, we probably walked somewhere in the range of 8 to 10 miles. And my legs are really tired today.

We started the morning by riding the T (commuter train) in from Franklin to South Station. Michael showed me his office from the outside. Afterwards, we walked to a fun little restaurant in Beacon Hill called The Paramount to have breakfast.

After breakfast, we walked across Boston Common, found a Borders bookstore and wandered all over Government Center, the North End and the West End in our meandering journey to North Station. We caught an 11:20 train from North Station to Belmont, where we took a bunch of pictures of a site for my little sister Teri's architecture class. We caught the train back to North Station and then wandered through the West End, Beacon Hill, Boston Common, down Commonwealth, toward Fenway and out to the REI in Brookline.

After our visit to REI, we walked back to Fenway to a sports cafe called Game On to watch another very disappointing Aggie football game. We also went to Game On last week to watch the Aggie game. This week I was not impressed with Game On. They were not very accommodating due to the Ohio State game being aired at the same time and the service was quite poor. The game outcome didn't help much. Ugh.

So upon leaving from the game, I was in definite need of a pick-me-up, hence the quest for Boston Cream Pie. We wandered up Newbury Street, through a good portion of Back Bay up to Boston Common, through the Theater District, Financial District, Chinatown and back to South Station. Along the way, we stopped at almost every restaurant looking for Boston Cream Pie. I found it quite hard to believe that not one place had it on the menu. What's with that??!? So I left Boston yesterday afternoon quite disappointed.

Anyone have any suggestions? I figured out that Boston Cream Pie started at the Parker House Hotel, which is now the Omni Parker House (where Michael stayed during his interview). I think we'll try that next time we're in the city. There's also one other place in the Theater District that we wandered by called Finale - that we will probably try - but we weren't dressed appropriately this time. These are the only two places that I've found so far that offers BCP (aside from the tourist trap, Cheers - whose pie I've already had and it wasn't that good).

0 comments:

Subscribe