The Goodrums

Michael and Jennifer

12/12/2006

Wind Snob

Posted by Goodie |

I spent the last 36 hours in Amarillo and had a good time. I know most people aren’t big on it, but after going to high school there (not to mention being born there) it’s kind of nostalgic to go back. This helps because I think my company hired me because I am the only who doesn’t work in Amarillo that will actually go there. The purpose of my trip was to get acquainted with our project at Pantex. It’s funny that in all the years I lived in Amarillo and my association to Pantex, it was not until driving to the site on this trip that it occurred to me where Pantex gets its name. It’s located pretty much in the middle of the Texas Panhandle, hence Panhandle of Texas, or Pantex. Pretty complex I know; that’s why it took so long for me to figure it out.

Anyway, Amarillo was good. Not much has changed since I left, and I’d forgotten what a sleepy little town it can be. Still it has a raw charm. Yes it smelled like cattle, but you know, it was good. The Hereford winds were in full effect while I drove to the hotel on Sunday night. I stayed at the Residence Inn. This was doubly humorous. First, we happen to be living in a room at the Residence Inn in Franklin. At the same time, Jennifer was staying at a Marriott in Houston (brief work trip). That means that on a few given nights in December, we actually had three separate Marriott rooms in three different cities (and two states). There should be some kind of ultra bonus for that sort of thing. Especially since they were three rooms for only two people. Yeah, I know, you’re thinking, “What is wrong with them? First flying separate airlines to the same destination and then simultaneously staying in three different hotel rooms; dude,” but that’s just how things are sometimes. The second reason that my stay was humorous is this. I lived in the very same Residence Inn (with my family) for about a month and a half in the summer of 1999. Better yet, it is right next to the other hotel we lived in for about two months during the summer of 1994 (Yes, I have spent more than a reasonable portion of my life living in hotels for extended periods). Now, when I checked in, they asked me the normal question of courtesy, “Have you ever stayed with us before?” I had to laugh. How do you answer that? Well, the only way you can. “Yeah, I lived here once.”

So Amarillo was good. It was flat, it was yellow, it smelled like cows, the wind blew, and the trees grew sideways. It was beautiful, and I’m not kidding. There’s something great about standing out in a dusty West Texas field (from which you can see Mexico) as the wind blows talking about where to go for a good steak. If you chewed tobacco, that would be the correct time to spit; just remember not to do it into the wind. I decided on an old favorite, Outback Steakhouse. My family loved it when we lived there. Now, I know what you’re thinking (again), “I’ve been to Outback, are you kidding me? It’s not that good.” But I ask you this, have you been to the Outback in Amarillo, TX? I haven’t been to them all, but I’m telling you the one in Amarillo is the best one in existence. There are other good places to get steak in Amarillo too, but if you’re there and not sure, I would say Outback is a safe bet. There’s something great about eating dinner at a place with the guys who probably raised the bovine you’re enjoying.

So that was my trip. I’d say it’s been grood. I mean good... and great. Great and good.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy! Michael,
That was fun :-)
Love, Mom G

Subscribe