The Goodrums

Michael and Jennifer

7/30/2009

DC: The Return

Posted by Jen |

In May, we traveled to D.C. In my previous job, I had traveled to D.C. each and every summer to host a grueling conference where we worked these chaotic 22 hour days in a hotel basement and never saw the light of day. This year, I got to return to D.C. but in an entirely new context. Instead of hosting the conference, I attended the conference. I had some minor responsibilities but it was cakewalk compared to what I was accustomed to. I did had some surreal moments while there, though.

  • This year's conference was held in the exact same hotel that our past conference was held at. I had to quell a rising panic attack when I walked in.
  • There was a particular attendee who has similar features to my former boss. I did several double takes.
  • I actually ran into a couple people that I used to work with while we were up on the Hill. There happened to be a pharmacy conference going on at the same time as our conference. What are the chances?!
While in D.C., I found that I miss the pace and energy of federal policy work (which I did much more of in my former job). However, there are many perks to my new job and I'm certainly enjoying the balance (even in crazy times) that has come with it.

Since Michael's parents live in D.C., we decided to extend our trip a little on both ends and spend some time with them. We all worked during the week and then spent weekends together. We had a great time!

During our first weekend there, we got to celebrate Mother's Day with a fun breakfast with Mom G. Michael and I then searched out the highest point in D.C. - Point Reno. Doesn't count towards our total - but a fun little stop off to add to our collection. I think we actually stumped the concierge for a moment when we asked him to help us find it. :)

















DC Highpoint






















US Capitol                                                                   Washington Monument by Night

We all worked during the week - and we did a little work on the house too. We were supposed to help paint but I don't think much painting actually happened. Michael did help his dad move the TV to paint (but I think that might have been the extent of our help). We also had a fun dinner with the neighbors next door and caught up with a couple friends.

During the weekend after the conference, we took a road trip through the Shenandoah Mountains and tackled three highpoints - West Virgina, Maryland and Pennsylvania. (But not until Michael and his dad "biked to work" on the Friday they took off from work).

















Bike to Work Day                                                   The whole group of us at the Maryland highpoint






















Mom was first to the West Virginia highpoint               #24 Pennsylvania

We also stopped off at Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater.

















Group shot outside the home






















A shot of the entrance                       The classic Fallingwater picture

It was a packed weekend but we certainly made the most of our time in D.C.

View the full DC photo album here.

0 comments:

Subscribe