This year, Christmas and New Year's came and went in the blink of an eye. I can't believe we still haven't posted any of the highlights from the visits.
Michael finished school on December 18. My family arrived to visit on December 19. We hung out in Denver the first few days and then took a trip to the mountains to ski. On our second day skiing, one of my sisters managed to slice her butt open on our friend's snowboard. Seriously... you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried! A face first trip down the mountain on a stretcher and beaucoups of stitches later, we headed back to Denver with Christy laying face first down across the seats in the car. We spent most of the time after that hanging out at home, since mobility was limited.

Skiing at Breck ________________________ Beware of Snowboards
On Saturday the 26th, my family decided to head home. They packed up the car and headed for home. About 3 hours into the 10 hour drive (with a butt laceration patient aboard), they learned that I-70 through the entire state of Kansas was closed. There is no reasonable way to get from the Colorado/Kansas border to Oklahoma when I-70 is closed. You can take 1-25 south to I-40, but that requires a trip back through Denver. So, they turned around and came back. My mom kept comparing their reappearance to the Griswolds (National Lampoons Christmas Vacation). They camped out another afternoon and then tried again. The second trip home was a success. I'm so thankful I-70 was closed as the afternoon of the Griswolds has so many great memories. We laughed until we were blue in the face.
Over New Year's, we took a quick trip to Lubbock to visit Michael's sister and hang out with his family. We had a fun time playing board games, being treated to abundant good food and even going to a skeet shooting range. I know I'm from Texas, but I have never handled a gun in my life. Quite the experience. I only managed to hit one skeet thing and then stopped while I was ahead. I was much better at working the launcher...
Goodrum Family
Shooting Range
We came back from Lubbock and Michael promptly started school again. Not much rest for the weary, but many great memories.
During this time, our external hard drive with all of our files - school, music, pictures - everything dear and precious to us, also crashed. It lends chaos to the holidays to be without addresses for Christmas cards, pictures from the last year, etc., etc. Thankfully we were able to recover the data - albeit 2 months and $1,400 later. Ugh. Lesson learned. Backup your data.
16 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment