The Goodrums

Michael and Jennifer

1/31/2007

A "Real" Snow

Posted by Jen |

Sunday, January 21st. Our first Sunday in our new home. There are boxes everywhere - life is in a state of chaos.

On Saturday, we decided that we needed to take a break from unpacking on Sunday morning and to start trying to find a new church home in Denver (especially since we don't yet have any local friends or neighbors). Saturday afternoon we made a trip over to Panera (a common occurrence that week) since our home internet was still not working and researched a few churches. We decided to start our search with a church about two miles from our house. The service would start at 10:30 a.m.

On Sunday morning, we woke up to 3 inches of snow on the ground with more falling at a fairly rapid rate. We got ready, cleared off the car and started off to church around 10:00 a.m. As we got in the car, I got a text message from one of my college roommates that her sister was in the hospital. I was busy text messaging her back. Michael was busy trying to navigate the very slick roads. About halfway to church (it had taken us about 15 minutes to go one mile), Michael looked at me and asked, "Did you shut the garage door?" I replied, "No. Did you?"

We decided that we better turn around and go check our garage door (especially since we had a ton of stuff still in the garage due to the move). Sure enough, when we arrived back home at 10:30 a.m., our garage was wide open. The perils of distraction...

We debated for a few minutes about whether or not to attempt church again (since we would get there probably 30 minutes late). We decided to give it another try - but when we tried to head up the street we didn't go anywhere. After another 15 minutes of trying to get back in the driveway, we put it in park and decided that the garage incident was God's way of telling us we shouldn't be stubborn and venture out in weather our car can't handle. I guess the fact that every other car on the road was an SUV should have been a hint to start with. Another two inches of snow fell in the next hour. In all likelihood, if we had gone back to church, we probably would not have been able to make it home.

In all we got about a foot of snow that day. Michael worked on the garage in the afternoon and finally cleared out enough space to fit one car in. He decided he would put the Saturn in the garage. What an adventure! We have quite a bit of an incline on our driveway (definitely not as bad as my parents - but still a decent slope) and with all the snow the car wasn't getting any traction. It was sliding all over the place. I was so afraid that it was going to hit the other car in the process. That's just what you want to do - crash your vehicles into each other!

Michael finally got the idea to lay down some of our moving boxes on the driveway to help the car get traction. By the grace of God, we got the car into the garage - and it hasn't moved again since. :) There was lots of burning - clutch and tires - involved. We created some very unique art in the process. Stewie is quite thankful to be safe and warm.















AM Picture of Stewie and "PC"
Stewie had been cleared off for church in this picture.















A couple hours later...















Check out the car!!!
Hello! There's at least a foot of snow on that car. ...And we were freaking out about 2 inches a week before.















Shoveling the driveway
Shoveling the driveway is still fun at the moment. During this snow, I got excited and spent about an hour shoveling the entire driveway and half of the street. That was a lot of snow! Later, I was so sad to find out that my watch fell off somewhere in the snow. On Monday morning, I got up at the crack of dawn and started shoveling the huge pile of snow I had created into our yard (I figured that way when the snow melted I might find my watch somewhere in the yard). Thankfully, I found my watch about halfway through the pile - and before they brought in the front end loader to shovel our street (the piles they created at the end of the street are probably 15 feet high and will be around until June). Boy were my arms sore after that! :)















Unique ways of clearing off the cars
You have to get creative when there's 6 inches of snow on your car (that's already been cleared once that day). Brooms come in handy for more than sweeping out the garage...




















The Stewie "Art"




















My Snow Angel
You can't see it very well - but I was having fun in the snow.

0 comments:

Subscribe