The Goodrums

Michael and Jennifer

2/06/2007

Home, Home for the Range

Posted by Jen |

So I think I have mentioned (a few times) that we currently own two very nice stainless steel ranges. I probably owe an explanation on that one.

When we made the offer on our house, the builder said they were going to work on getting the electric, flat top range that was slated for the house replaced with a gas model (the range hadn't been installed yet). It was a nice thought but they didn't actually try - at all. We showed up at our walk through to find a nice electric range, even though the gas model was actually cheaper for the builder than the electric - and the building supervisor was more than agreeable to the switch. The sales agent decided to be a pain just to be a pain though and blocked the whole switch. I know that is such a huge surprise for those who have worked with large scale builders before. We were fortunate with our last builder - because he was really accommodating and great to work with. Not so much with this builder. It was a really frustrating experience.

It all ended up working out in the end - however much of a pain it was going through it. We replaced the range on our own initiative once we closed on the house (we got a much nicer range than we would have otherwise). We found a really great dual fuel range (gas cooktop and electric oven) at The Great Indoors (I am so excited to have this store nearby now). We had a contractor come in and run a gas line into the kitchen for the range. It ended up being much easier than I thought it would be. We had to deal with not having a stove or oven for about a week - but it was worth it in the end.

The only big hassle is that we now have a stainless steel, electric, flat top range (with a convection oven) sitting in our garage that we need to somehow sell. It's going to get posted on Craigslist one of these days. It's really nice and it's never been used. I just wish the silly builder had at least given us credit for it so we didn't have to deal with the hassle.

Well there is one other "hassle" too - that I have to learn to cook at "high altitude" (we're not really that high - but the brownies and cookies I have tried to make so far seem to disagree). You guys might want to wait to sample the baking coming out of our kitchen for a few months. We have some learning to do...

Here's a picture of Michael playing with our new range.



















Boys and fire...
You can't really see it but he turned on the flame for the picture



















A close up
The range has a griddle pan that you can replace the center grate with. Michael is fascinated with the griddle pan. In fact, it might have been what sold him on this particular range.















Half a kitchen
Mostly organized. It's come a LONG way from the first weekend.

0 comments:

Subscribe