Texas is a unique place. Texans are unique people. And for some reason a lot of people from other states don't seem to like us as much. Part of this is probably due to the pride that we have in our state. I mean, Texas is just, it's just Texas, and anyone from there can tell you that it's just unlike other states. I can't really explain what makes Texas such a great place, and I don't know if other Texans can either, but we all know that there's something special about it. Anyway, a blog post from one of my four awesome little sisters reminded me of an epiphany I had as we drove past a Saltgrass one day on the way to the airport here in Denver.
Jennifer and I were driving and I saw the Saltgrass with a Texas flag on the side and I thought, "I love Texas." As I started thinking about it, and about how I in a way missed Texas (not to say that Colorado is not awesome) I had a realization. I realized that I was Texan (yes, that sounds obvious and perhaps stupid). I knew this because I thought to myself, and then told Jennifer, "You know, I can tell I'm a Texan. Do you know how I know? I thought that if someone came to attack the United States I would not be happy about it but I would not be all up in arms to fight them right away. But if someone attacked Texas, well, that's a different story." Now, this is not so much an unAmerican statement as it is a Texan statement. Some other good Texan statements I've seen or heard.
On a billboard in the middle of nowhere Texas:
"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas he'll tell ya, if not, save him the embarassment."
A family from Houston area we shared a raft with in Kananaskis valley, Alberta, Canada:
"Yeah, when people say, 'Oh, you're from the states,' we say, 'No, we're from Texas.'"
The signs marking cattle guards in Alberta, Canada:
16 years ago

1 comments:
I love it!!! Do you know Mom, Christy, and I sang "Texas, Our Texas" in the car on the way back from College Station this week! ...I was the only one who knew all the words! They need to brush up!
Post a Comment