Last weekend, we embarked on an adventure with the entire Goodrum family. Steph & Matt and Mom and Dad arrived in Denver on Friday. We crashed at our house for a short night's sleep. Bright and early on Saturday morning, we took off down I-70 toward Moab, Utah. Michael predicted a 7 hour drive, but it turned out to be more like 10.
Upon arriving in Moab, we made a quick stop by the grocery store and then headed down a 4-wheel drive road out towards the lodge where we were staying. Several stream crossings, cliffs and bumps later, Mom ceased schreeching and we arrived. :) We checked out the property and waited for others to show up. We grilled out and celebrated family birthdays.
Down the 4x4 road to the lodge
By this point we had lost Michael to driving the camp's jeep to town and back with his sister
The lodge where we stayed
Michael "rappelling" down to the river
Using a garden hose...
Birthdays
Jen & Mom
Sunday morning we explored the area - complete with trips to an old Indian storehouse, a cave along the riverbed and the local wind caves. I rode on my first four-wheeler and even learned how to operate one. Michael managed to crash a dirt bike and bang up his shoulder trying to rescue me while stuck trying to get the four-wheeler into reverse (we hadn't even made it out of the driveway at this point).
Dad and Michael on dirt bakes
Mom & Dad four wheeling along the river
Michael descending from the riverbed cave
At the wind caves
Family portrait
We then played a mean game of frisbee golf (well 13 holes anyway). I definitely do not have the best aim. I managed to hit my mother-in-law in the head through a tree. I swear I never saw her behind the tree. After we all finally managed to recover from hysterical laughter that ensued (you should have heard the thump - I think you could hear it in the next state), I spent the rest of the evening apologizing. Oh man... Me+frisbie=danger zone.
Michael at hole 13
Michael was the only guy of the group that managed to retain his frisbie through this hole
Sunset
That evening, we checked out the neighboring property and were put to sleep with the sound of falling rain (very unusual in the desert and a sound we haven't heard in about 6 months now).
We left Moab at 4-something a.m. on Monday morning, aiming to get Matt and Steph back to the Denver airport for a 2 p.m. flight. Snoring abounded on the trip home. :) We hit some weather through central Colorado and were fortunate to avoid this - we missed it by a mere 2 hours. 70 car pile-up, complete closure of I-70. That sure would have put a damper on our fun little getaway.
The trees were pretty - the roads were not
We made it to the airport on time - and Dad and Michael spent the afternoon tuning up our bikes. Mom and Dad left Tuesday morning. We're thankful that Jen (the other Jen Goodrum) organized the trip for us. A great time was had by all. Now to sleep... still recovering from all the early summons!
More pictures and commentary here.
16 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment